Fun Facts About Scottsdale, AZ
In 1888, Winfield Scott purchased 640 acres where Old Town Scottsdale is now located for $3.50 ($92 in current dollars).
The first business in Old Town Scottsdale was J.L. Davis’ General Store, which opened in 1897. In 1904, Sarah Thomas purchased the store, making it the first female-owned business in town.
Scottsdale’s first Catholic church was built in 1933 by Mexican and Yaqui Indian families who settled in the area. Today, the Old Adobe Mission is still used for weddings and shared with visitors from all over the world.
Spring Training is a HUGE tourist attraction in Scottsdale. The tradition began during the 1950s when town residents brought the Baltimore Orioles to town for the first spring training season.
The Scottsdale airport was initially used to train pilots for war efforts in WWII. After some growing pains, the first business jets landed at Scottsdale Airport in August 1967. Today, there are over 450 aircraft based at Scottsdale Airport, from single-engine recreational planes to numerous corporate jets. Scottsdale is now the second busiest single-runway airport in the country and the most active corporate jet facility in the state.